Sunday, May 3, 2009

Kung Pao Chicken: an Allegory

Kung Pao Chicken is by far the best chicken there is. I absolutely love it. I can't get enough of it.

However, I can't remember the last time I had Kung Pao Chicken, and I miss it terribly. The owner at the Chinese Buffet Restaurant I go to said that I shouldn't ever expect to see Kung Pao Chicken at the buffet again. I wish she had told me earlier, because I certainly would have appreciated the last Kung Pao Chicken I had a heck of a lot more.

People might think, "big deal, just get some Sesame Chicken or Honey Chicken instead. Chicken is chicken." This is true to a certain degree, but as any man will tell you, the best chicken is Kung Pao Chicken. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy Teriyaki Chicken as much as the next guy, but make no mistake, Teriyaki Chicken is no substitute for Kung Pao Chicken. I mean, if there were two lines, one to get Teriyaki Chicken and one for Kung Pao Chicken, I would be in that VERY long line. But, I am told, Kung Pao Chicken is no longer even an option.

Yes, I am aware I could drive into Greensboro and probably find a different buffet that would be willing to offer Kung Pao Chicken, but I would be overly concerned about the high cost and potential negative consequences, as you can never be too sure about strange Chinese Buffet Restaurants, no matter how attractive their offerings may appear to be. Besides, I am a very loyal man, and I would never think to stray from the Chinese Buffet right here in my home community. It just wouldn't be right.

So, until the owner changes her mind, I will not be getting Kung Pao Chicken anytime soon, and I guess I will have to continue to suffer. My wife would just appreciate it if I would suffer in silence.

No comments:

Post a Comment