Saturday, April 4, 2009

5 Reasons Why I am a Liberal

I was recently challenged to come up with five reasons I am a liberal by my R-W-N-J friend Lori. Not one to back down from a challenge, I submit the following:

1. I believe in what a 'liberal' is defined to be: one who subscribes to a broad class of political philosophies that considers individual liberty and equality to be the most important political goals. Liberalism emphasizes individual rights and equality of opportunity.

2. I believe Liberalism is more conducive to the rational scientific thought process. True Liberals are not afraid to challenge the status quo, or even their own beliefs.

3. I believe Jesus was a liberal, that the 'golden rule' is wholly congruent with values of liberalism.

4. I believe Liberalism is better prepared to change with the times, as we learn more about our world and new technologies emerge.

5. I believe Liberalism acknowledges the complexity of mankind.

1 comment:

  1. Ken..Ken..Ken...why must you be so well spoken? This debating was much easier in college because everyone there was a knee-jerk liberal with little to no practical knowledge. It has been a plesure debating with you:) You will see my reponse on my blog. No, seriously though..why do you have to be good at this? *sigh*...

    ReplyDelete